Compositions by Genre

i wana cry with u (2014)


i wana cry with u (2014)

for SATB Choir
text by Steve Roggenbuck
commissioned by Cor Flammae


When the opportunity to both sing with, and write for Cor Flammae, I couldn't say no. A few years ago, I had stumbled upon the writings of internet poet, Steve Roggenbuck. One of his texts stuck with me in a way that I knew I needed to set it for choir.
i wana cry with u
but we cant
because if we were together we
wouldn't be sad 
Initially, I interpreted the poem through the lens of queer love. While that worked well enough, it soon became clear that the scope of this poem's meaning couldn't be limited by one narrative. I opted for a format that allows each singer to discover their own interpretation as part of singing the piece.

Score and recording to come after the July 24th premiere performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment